Apple pledges to be 100 percent carbon neutral by 2030

Currently carbon-neutral for global industrial emissions, the organization aims to push its overall carbon footprint to net zero 20 years faster than IPCC goals.

Apple has promised to be 100% carbon neutral for its supply chain and products by 2030

carbon neutral,apple
Image credit: Apple.com | The Montague wind farm in Oregon is one of Apple’s largest projects at 200 megawatts and powers Apple’s Prineville data centre.

Cupertino, California — Apple today announced its intention to become carbon neutral in its entire enterprise, supply chain production, and life cycle of its products by 2030. For its global business activities , the company is already carbon neutral today and this new pledge ensures that by 2030 each Apple product sold will have net zero climate effects.

“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help create a more prosperous future, one that is born out of our shared concern for the world we share,” said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. “The technologies that power our environmental journey are not just beneficial for the earth-they have helped us make our goods more energy efficient and put new renewable energy sources around the world online. Climate change will be the foundation for a new age of creative innovation, job creation and sustainable development. We ‘re aiming to be a ripple in the pond with our pledge to carbon neutrality that produces a much greater impact.

Apple provides specifics of its carbon neutrality strategy and a guide for other businesses as companies try to reduce their effects on climate change. Apple outlines its intentions to minimize emissions by 75 percent by 2030 while implementing groundbreaking carbon reduction strategies for the remaining 25 percent of its environmental footprint in its Environmental Performance Report 2020.

carbon neutral, apple
Image Credit: Apple.com | Over 80 percent of the renewable energy that Apple sources comes from projects that Apple created.

Apple is setting up an Impact Accelerator to help these programs and beyond, which will concentrate on investing in minority-owned companies that achieve positive results in its supply chain and in neighborhoods that are disproportionately impacted by environmental hazards. This accelerator is part of the $100 million Social Equity and Justice Initiative recently announced by Apple, focusing on initiatives to improve education, economic inclusion, and reform of criminal justice.

“We ‘re proud of our environmental journey and the ambitious vision we’ve set for the future,” said Lisa Jackson, Apple’s Climate, Policy and Social Initiatives vice president. “Systemic racism and climate change are not distinct issues, so distinct approaches will not be implemented. We have a generational opportunity to help create a greener and more sustainable economy, one where we are creating whole new industries in search of a world worth calling home for the next generation.

carbon neutral, apple

You may also want to check these out

Mebin Varghese

Mebin has switched his career multiple times. From Geology, to Physics, and then working as a Research Analyst, and then to Customer Service, and later into Amazon. Mebin is now trying to put his hands in the mechanical engineering of aeroplanes (He's an Aircraft Engineering Student). Not yet over. . Mebin is a blogger, and is learning Digital Marketing too. Mebin is so confident about his 'Sarcasm' developing skill, that he says that he can pin down anyone with his tongue. And if you see the username 'macmebin' on any online platform, it's him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: