May it be your Twitter or Facebook, your accounts are not very safe. Yesterday on 15th July, 2020 a major Twitter data breach happened on Twitter when many Twitter accounts of prominent people were hacked. Twitter accounts of many prominent people like Elon Musk, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Kim Kardashian etc were hacked. After the incident happened Twitter responded by saying, “we detected what we believe to be a co-ordinated social engineering attack by people who successfully targeted some of our employees with access to internal systems and tools”
This statement by Twitter made it quite clear that the Twitter data breach which happened was not totally an external one as the hackers would also be having access to the internal infrastructure of Twitter. As it would not have been possible otherwise to hack the accounts of so many big names at the same time without the internal access
The hackers after taking over these accounts posted the same tweet regarding Bitcoins with the same link for it. When the social media platforms have become important and risky at the same time, if you want to keep using Twitter you can continue using it while taking some important security steps for the protection of your account. These steps would be
How to Protect your twitter account from the twitter data breach?
- 2 steps authentication- now this was not a very helpful security measure at least during this data breach as the hackers had employee credentials but this is usually a very important security layer as the hackers cannot get better of this in usual situations.
- Unfollow and block- If you’re finding an account which is unnecessarily following you or stalking you or troubling you then you should immediately unfollow that particular account or if the user is troubling you a lot then you should straight away report that user and block him.
- Advanced Block-if you and your friends want too block the same accounts, you can use the advanced feature, and export or import a list of blocked accounts from your settings menu.
- Disable direct messages- this is also a security measure as unknown people wont DM you and also not send you malicious links which would compromise your account.
- Make your account private- making your account private will make sure that the personal details of yours stay open to only the people who you know and not to the ones like hackers.
- Report- You can report abusive behavior directly from a tweet, profile, Direct Message or fill out a Twitter web form