Apple has announced the latest features heading to user iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches this summer. At the firm’s first virtual World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC), Apple showed off iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and watch OS 7, due to be released later this year as free updates.
iOS 14 has been announced with some of its core features revolving around an updated home screen and a new look.
- In the new iOS 14, Apple will also be able to can pin widgets with updating information on the home screen, including calendar and maps mini-programmes.
Users can create a Smart Stack of widgets, which uses on-device intelligence to surface the right widget based on time, location, and activity said Apple.
- The new look to the Apple home screen.
- The latest addition to iOS 14 is the App Library. It uses AI to detect which apps you are using the most and organises them in a single folder for you to access quickly. It creates a new space that automatically organizes all of a user’s apps into one simple, easy-to-navigate view.
- iOS 14 also has customizable widgets which can be put on the home screen.
Apple has launched something called Smart Stack that lets you have a gallery of widgets. This way, you can see how your widget looks on the home screen. You can drag widgets to the home screen as well. These widgets come in different sizes.
- Apple also previewed iPadOS 14, with new features and designs that take advantage of the unique capabilities of iPad and its large Multi-Touch display.
- iPadOS 14 introduces an all-new compact design for incoming FaceTime and phone calls, Siri interactions, and Search to help users stay focused on the task at hand.
- iPadOS 14 brings Scribble to iPad with Apple Pencil, allowing users to write in any text field – where it will automatically be converted to typed text – making actions like replying to an iMessage or searching in Safari fast and easy.
- iPadOS 14 brings Scribble to iPad with Apple Pencil.
- It also introduced a new sidebar which allows quick access to apps and tools.
- The company also announced new watchOS 7 that offers enhanced customisation tools and a new health and fitness suite.
- The new watchOS is set to bring new watch face configurations and health features like sleep tracking, automatic handwashing detection, additional workout types including dance, and a new hearing health feature.
- There is a new hand wash feature in the new watchOS.
- Sleep tracking with the new watchOS 7 takes a holistic approach to sleep by providing more in-depth analysis of sleep tracking and prompts on when the user needs to go to sleep to meet sleep goals.
- There is a new hand wash tracking feature which ensures that the users wash their hands for at least 20 seconds in light of the current Covid-19 pandemic. The Apple Watch now uses the motion sensors, microphone, and on-device machine learning to automatically detect handwashing motions and sounds.